Having already a very low estimation of Billy Bob, it came as something of a surprise when I happened to catch him on The Tonight Show last week and one of the talking points they had prepared was his belief that Shakespeare is overrated. His brilliant argument essentially consisted of two points: 1. the plays are really just soap operas, and 2. all the 'flowery' language is a ruse. The most hilarious part of this is that if there is one person who is not overrated, it is fucking Shakespeare. Furthermore, does this witless idiot realize that he is claiming that a worldwide conspiracy that spans centuries is his real claim? Or does he think that all those people just repeated what they were told and it took Billy Bob's bravery to break the yoke?
Now here is the kicker: he was on to pitch a new sports movie about high school football and the clip they showed had him delivering a pan-faced speech to a bunch of 15 year olds about 'being in the moment' and 'living from joy.' It's no wonder he has it out for Shakespeare when he's part of a cabal who are doing the typical Hollywood trope of taking a downhome story and recasting it with pseudo buddhist nonsense. Congratulations. When Billy Bob's career goes down the tubes, maybe he can play the fool in a rendition of one of Bill's plays, though he's more suited to a syphillitic, drooling idiot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
heh..your post made me laugh out loud.
Trashing the bard is often a good indicator for identifying an pseudo-intellectual. When someone does this, it really means:
"look at me, I'm smart, I read Shakespeare, and what's more, I think I'm smarter."
There's a lot more to Shakepeare than just "flowery language" and plot (but of course you know that).
I've liked Billy Bob in a few things, but lately he seems to be taking every dumb script that comes his way.
Post a Comment